· Initiates and develops shipping container and mechanical equipment designs. May use computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform assignments. Able to take mechanical systems from concept through to commissioning and testing. Applies intensive and diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignments. Makes decisions independently on complex engineered systems, commensurate with experience and seniority.
· Performs a variety of engineering calculations using traditional engineering methods to document compliance with project and code requirements, which may include stress calculations, limits and fits and equipment sizing.
· Generates and is fully conversant with drawings, layout drawings, arrangement, assembly and detail drawings, specifications and data sheets.
· Assists in the preparation and approval of design documents and plant modifications, including supervision of designers in document development in accordance with approved procedures, processes and design requirements.
· Provides technical expertise and guidance to develop, manage and implement engineering analysis, activities and programs to identify and resolve equipment and system problems.
· Familiar with national codes and standards appropriate to the Mechanical and/or Structural Engineering discipline.
· Ensures relevant design criteria, specifications, practices, procedures and codes and site design and safety and licensing basis are used in preparation of design media.
· Interfaces with staff, within the team and supporting sub-contractors to ensure work is completed in a safe and efficient manner, ensuring that safety is an integral element embodied in equipment design and specification.
· Works in multi-discipline teams on project-based work and ensures integration of design across multiple disciplines.
· Performs checking to ensure accuracy of design media in accordance with company policies and procedures and client expectations.
· Performs calculations and generates drawings and compliance documentation in support of hazardous material container design and testing.
· Works to assigned schedules ensuring the accuracy, completeness and timeliness of work and initiates corrective measures to overcome delays.
· Understands, complies and is responsible for working to environmental health and safety policies and procedures and attends meetings as required. Provides supervision and leadership to members of the design team, commensurate with seniority.
· Recommends new equipment, concepts and techniques to improve performance, simplify design, reduce costs, correct design flaws or to comply with changes in client requirements, codes or regulations.
· Performs independent research, reviews, studies and analyses in support of plant changes and design modifications.
· Supports installation and testing of site systems and components.
· Participates in the preparation of cost estimates for engineering services to internal and external clients and coordinates work assignments to meet project-established schedules and budgets.
· Relies on experience and judgment.
· Works under limited supervision.
· Significant creativity and latitude is expected.
· Performs other duties as assigned.